Tuesday, December 29, 2009

MmmmmManhattans


I have recently started becoming a 'connoisseur' of delicious Manhattans (well...and by that I mean I drink a lot of them). I love the way the harsh edge of bourboun is rounded off by the addition of vermouth (plus a dash of sweetness from a cherry or cherry bitters). I am planning on setting up a little bar area in my apartment this week, so I can't wait to get my hands dirty trying to perfect my own blend. In perusing the ever beautiful gourmet magazine's website (tear), I came across this recipe for the classic concoction:

Perfect Bourbon Manhattans
Makes2 drinks

* Active time:5 min
* Start to finish:5 min

When this classic cocktail was invented, in the late 1800s, it called for rye. Here, bourbon gets to be the star, and the combination of sweet and dry vermouth makes our version “perfect.”

* 4 oz (1/2 cup) bourbon
* 1 oz (2 tablespoons) sweet vermouth
* 1 oz (2 tablespoons) dry vermouth
* 2 dashes Angostura bitters

*
Garnish:
maraschino cherries

*
Fill a cocktail shaker halfway with cracked ice, then add all ingredients and shake or stir well. Strain into 2 chilled Martini glasses.

No comments:

Post a Comment